The Pásalo Project is able to deliver training and consultancy services to individuals as well as national and international organisations.
Having a specific work background in mental health, linguistics and psychotherapy, the Pásalo Project is able to draw on professional skills developed over decades of training and first-hand experience.
The project’s core member, Dr Beverley Costa, has created an e-learning resource for the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy about setting up therapeutically framed social justice projects.
•Support needs and support offerings for Interpreters in Humanitarian contexts
•The Stresses & The Strengths of Triangles - Interpreter-Mediated Therapy
•Disaster scenarios in interpreter-mediated therapy and how to avoid them
Given the nature of the Project’s work history and experience, we consider ourselves as experts and able to offer training in the following fields:
· Enabling mental health practitioners and safeguarding specialists to work effectively with interpreters
· Group supervision for interpreters
· Training mental health practitioners to work effectively with multilingual patients
· Culturally sensitive supervision for therapists
· Training multilingual mental health practitioners to work professionally in more than one language
If you would like to request an example abstract of a custom training programme, please email: email@example.com
The Pásalo Project has been fortunate enough to work with, and provide training modules, for the following organisations:
· NHS IAPT services across the UK
· Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (for teams of Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Community Psychiatric Nurses)
· The Universities of Reading, Southampton, Brunel, Oxford, Glasgow, East Anglia, KU Leuven (Belgium), Alcalá (Spain), Birkbeck, Kings and Queen Mary, (University of London colleges), Metanoia Institute (Middlesex University)
· Medical Justice
· The Helen Bamber Foundation
· Freedom from Torture
· The Refugee Council
· The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Local Safeguarding Children Board
· The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
· The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
· Bereavement Services and Hospices across the UK
· University of Reading, Speech and Language Therapy
"This was the most helpful interpreting training I have attended … It makes you think about different perspectives … Very inspiring, motivating and focused … we would love to have more sessions with you."
"I would say this training is a must for professionals especially in Health and Social Care, who work with multilingual people. Why? In order to make the work count and be effective, in order to really give a voice to those who are marginalised, due to the language barrier, in our society.
The impact of language on the “purpose” of the session is imperative – without training on language and interpreting the session’s values to an extent is lost. The training leverages the work – one day’s training input reaping long term, high gain."
"Excellent. Relevant. New information. Unlike any other training. This was practical. Fantastic, knowledgeable trainer. Would like more!"
"Do this training. You will have your heart and mind opened and be able to reach out and connect the way you want to."
"Your talk and lecture to us a few months back was so inspiring that it has really impacted how we function as a service and for me how I look at things from a strategic point of view. Thank you."
"Beverley Costa, was excellent. Her ability to hold the group and combine experiential and theoretical input is incredibly impressive; the best I have witnessed since attending a workshop led by ... many years ago. What I learnt on the day will have a significant impact on my work with all clients and supervisees for years to come. I felt challenged, out of my depth, enlightened, emboldened and curious to learn more, and have learnt to reflect on my practice and supervisory capacity in new and unexpected ways. So, thank you for organising this training - well worth the investment."
“The training was excellent. Without this training you are quite ignorant about the specific challenges. It drew my attention to power dynamics that can play out, and the importance of preparing the interpreter for what is expected of them, including the subtleties of therapeutic dynamics.”
"Beverley was a hugely experienced, informative, flexible, engaging speaker. I came away with so much from her presentation. I would absolutely recommend this event. It gave me exactly what I needed in terms of professional prods and encouragements."
“I am much more aware after Beverley's training of the impact for clients, of speaking in a language other than their mother tongue.”
Contact: To discuss your training or consultancy needs please contact Beverley by phone or email:
Telephone: 07946 546079
Dr Beverley Costa DPsych, UKCP approved supervisor, MBACP